Over the past few years there has been an increasing demand for experienced pregnancy photographers. This has mainly fueled an increasing number of services that promise women that they will get amazing and memorable photos. However, the problem with maternity photography is the fact that it is very challenging. A photographer is expected to manage a number of important variables, including the mood of the client, makeup, posing, lighting and clothing. In addition, because a woman is pregnant, she may not be able twist her body into some types of portrait poses.
Useful Photography Tips
When it comes to taking maternity photographs, you should take as much help as you can get. The below tips should help make it easier for you to take beautiful photographs:
- Before you decide to photograph a woman, you need to first find out how many months pregnant she is. Generally speaking, you should opt to photograph women who are around seven months pregnant, mainly because this is when their bellies are obvious and they’re often feeling their best.
- Ask your subjects to get their makeup done either by a professional or do it themselves prior to paying you a visit. With an in house makeup professional you’re able to control how your subject looks prior to taking pictures. This will also help to boost a woman’s confidence and energy.
- With some women, you may want to shoot from a foot or two above her in order to capture a flattering angle.
- If you’ve been invited to shoot the woman at her home, make sure that the space you choose is clutter-free. The best places are usually the living room and the bedroom. However, there should be a window or a door to get natural light into the room.
- Props like booties, vintage plaques, and tiny caps add some drama and fun to the photo. Try to choose props that will personalize the photo. This should help make the photo extra special.
- Your photographs should always be shot in color. Some couples may ask for monochrome or black and white photos, but colored photographs can always be converted. A colored photograph will ensure that if the couple or the woman changes her mind you can always deliver a colored copy. However, always take photos keeping both color and monochrome in mind.
Professional photographers tend to get stuck in a rut. This is why many pregnancy photographs look exactly the same–just with a different woman and a few extra props. When it comes to this type of photography, you should constantly be experimenting with height, colors, make up styles, and poses. It is also important that you speak to your client if she feels insecure or tired, feel free to give her a break to cool off prior to resuming.
About the Author:
A-Z Photography is one of the leading pregnancy photography services in Perth. We specialize in all types of photography including pregnancy photography, portrait photographs and kids photos.
Like This Article?
Don't Miss The Next One!
Join over 100,000 photographers of all experience levels who receive our free photography tips and articles to stay current: