Timelapse photography lets us speed through time. And as with any other cinematic content, if you’re able to add in some camera movement, the results look even better. Don’t worry if you’re on a budget. COOPH shows you how to make a DIY timelapse rig for smartphones using inexpensive household items:
DIY Timelapse Rig Supplies
Here’s what you’ll need to create a timelapse rig for your smartphone:
- an egg timer
- double-sided tape
- a ruler
- a pencil
- a sharp knife
How to Make a Timelapse Rig
- Start by marking the width of your smartphone on the cardboard.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the frame out. This will work as a stand for your phone.
- Trace your first cut on to the cardboard and cut out a duplicate copy.
- Cut out two small rectangular pieces of the cardboard, and fix the stands that you created in steps 2 & 3 on these rectangular pieces.
- Add double-sided tape to the top of the egg timer and attach a piece of cardboard slightly larger than its face at the top. It should be large enough to fit the structure you created in step 4 conveniently.
- Using some glue, stick the phone holder to the cardboard on top of the egg timer. Leave it to dry.
Voila, the timelapse rig is ready. When you’re set to take your awesome timelapse photos, wind the egg timer, set your smartphone’s camera to timelapse mode, mount the camera to the stand, and press the record button.
Will you be giving this a try?
Like This Article?
Don't Miss The Next One!
Join over 100,000 photographers of all experience levels who receive our free photography tips and articles to stay current: