When you really sit and think about it, photography is a little mind-blowing. Inspired by Reddit’s Shower Thoughts, Matthew Rycroft put together this compilation of mind-bending truths about photography:
Here’s what he came up with:
1. Taking a photograph is like taking a screenshot of life.
2. You are in the background of other people’s holiday photos.
3. Before photography people didn’t know what they looked like as children.
4. Before photography, nobody knew what they looked like with their eyes closed.
5. The two ends of a panorama are set at two different points in time.
6. Before color photography there was no good reason to take photographs of rainbows.
7. An older photograph of you is your younger self.
8. The photograph of you that might be displayed at your funeral might already exist.
9. Camera lenses are circular, but photographs are rectangular.
10. It should be pronounced photo-graphy.
11. Your Instagram account is a reverse timeline of your life in photos—from old to young.
12. Taking photos of your food is like taking “before” photos of your poop.
13. Every photo that you take is a once in a lifetime photo. Make it awesome.
Admittedly, some of these sounds like they were inspired by, shall we say… recreational substances. But Rycroft’s list is a good jumping off point.
Let’s make a PictureCorrect version of this list. What are your deep thoughts about photography?
Like This Article?
Don't Miss The Next One!
Join over 100,000 photographers of all experience levels who receive our free photography tips and articles to stay current: