Some of you might have already thought of some potential items that can be effectively used for photography. Indeed, when you look around you, at home, your office, the attic, you will notice many useful objects. But, one simple item that I have found very handy is a basic white bed sheet:
It all happened by coincidence. On one occasion my wife was throwing away a king size bedroom sheet that in her opinion, not mine, was worn out. In fact, I salvaged the sheet and stored it in the garage. I was pretty sure that it would come in handy during my outdoor photo shoots in some way or another. Indeed, I was proven right time and time again.
Here is a list of some of the things you can do with a white bed sheet while shooting an outdoor photo session:
- It is an effective reflector to lighten up those dark shady areas. Being a big reflective object, the quality of light is superb. Light reflected is soft.
- Likewise, it can diffuse strong midday light if you stand the model underneath the sheet. The sheet mimics the advantages of a soft box. Diffused light produces better skin tones.
- Also, a shady area can easily be created so as to avoid the scorching sun during summer time. Your models will surely appreciate it during their break.
- It can be used as a do-it-yourself changing room where models can discreetly change their clothes behind the sheet. To be effective, the sheet should not be too fine and delicate where one can easily see through.
- It can be used as a prop in order to design some creative work. It is a very effective accessory during windy days and lingerie shoots.
- The sheet can be very useful to screen unavoidable noise in the background. Furthermore, it can be used as an effective backdrop to make your model stand out over a white background.
The number of different uses is only limited by your imagination. I’m sure that the next time you’re about to throw away your bedroom sheets, you’ll think twice. If you take the time to look around, you’ll be amazed by the number of household items that can come handy and aid your photographic work.
I hope that this little piece of advice can help you turn your outdoor photo shooting into a more creative, fun, and comfortable experience.
About the Author:
Do you want to acquire a handful of posing secrets in order to move from one style to another with ease? If yes, follow my site at http://michaelabela.weebly.com so that you too can master the art of posing and directing a model. You’ll also find ideas and tips on how to start you online photographic business in order to make the most of your photographic work.
Like This Article?
Don't Miss The Next One!
Join over 100,000 photographers of all experience levels who receive our free photography tips and articles to stay current: