Intimate photography can be a sensitive topic, and there are certain protocols that photographers should follow when taking on the genre.
A few key tips for artistic intimate photography:
- Before the shoot even starts, make sure the model is comfortable with what you’re going to do by discussing the shots.
- If your model has never done a shoot, start with very basic poses with lingerie on to make them comfortable.
- Never touch the model. Instead, mirror the poses to them.
- Don’t use too wide of a lens if the background is cluttered, this will help avoid getting it in the shot. Stick with a good, standard portrait lens.
- Be careful with sharp bends and angles in the poses you ask from the model to avoid creases in the skin.
Lastly, as with almost any kind of portrait photography, experiment with the light. Just because you are using ambient light doesn’t mean you lose control over it. It’s helpful to know which angles produce the most flattering or artistic light.
Like This Article?
Don't Miss The Next One!
Join over 100,000 photographers of all experience levels who receive our free photography tips and articles to stay current: