The first sign that you may be a photo geek is if you clicked on this link to see if you’re a photo geek. So what’s the difference between being passionate about photography and claiming the title of geek? Well, leave it up to Kai to create a top 10 list of the geekiest photographer traits:
The 10 Traits Needed to Achieve Photo Geek Status:
- Form Follow Function Fashion – Basically, you think a lot about photography and very little about your clothes.
- Awkward With the Opposite Sex – You’re terrible at social interactions, especially if it’s with someone you’re attracted too.
- Speaks in Coded Language – Your conversations consist of a lot of talk about f-stops, MTF charts, digital noise, sensor size, etc. Most people won’t know what you’re talking about.
- Only Talks About Cameras, All the Time – Your love of photography might spread a little too far when the only thing you can talk to your friends about is your newest lens or the amazing photo that you captured the other day.
- Bring Inappropriate Gear to Occasions – Maybe you don’t need to bring your TLR when riding a rollercoaster.
- Spend Far Too Long on Online Forums – Whether you’re bragging about your photo or gear, or just talking with other photographers because your friends are tired of listening to you, you may be abusing your photography forum account (in which your username is photographyloverf/4life)
- Spend Far Too Long at 2nd Hand Shops – If you feel a spark of excitement every time you see a flea market hoping that you will find an old rangefinder camera, you may be a photo geek.
- Try to Outdo Everyone by Getting Exclusive Gear – It doesn’t have to be expensive or new or even functional, but it does have to be unique.
- Treat Your Gear Like Your Baby – This one is iffy. Some photo geeks may treat their photo gear better than their baby.
- Need to Take Photos Even Stuck at Desk - When you feel like you’re wasting time at your office because you’re not taking photos, this could be a sign.
Another sign of being a photo geek? Checking youtube everyday for more photography tutorials.
Don't Miss The Next New Article!
Join over 100,000 subscribers who receive free photography tips and in-depth articles from PictureCorrect and stay up-to-date. Subscribe Now!