Time-lapse: Drive Across America in 5 Minutes

New York photographer Brian DeFrees recently set out on a roadtrip around the United States with the goal of creating a time-lapse to chronicle his journey. He traveled 12,225 miles while capturing a photo every 5 seconds with his Canon 60D. Take a moment to watch this video which will carry you across the United States and back in 5 minutes:

He mounted the camera just below the rear view mirror along with an intervalometer which controlled the camera’s rate of picture taking. He captured 200,000 individual photographs and combined them into the previous video which has turned into a viral hit on YouTube.

In total, he crossed at least 32 states in 55 days:

time-lapse across america

12,225 mile time-lapse roadtrip around the United States

When he was parked for the night or exploring an area on foot he was constantly time-lapsing. Here is a collection of the time-lapses he captured while outside of his car during the trip:

For Further Training on Time-lapse Photography:

Check out this new COMPLETE guide (146 pages) to shooting, processing and rendering time-lapses using a dslr camera. It can be found here: Time-lapse Photography Guide

Don't Miss The Next New Article!

Join over 100,000 subscribers who receive free photography tips and in-depth articles from PictureCorrect and stay up-to-date. Subscribe Now!

35 Comments

1. Wow! That was dizzying and exhilarating! I liked it and shared it!

2. Teresa says:

I wonder how much it costs to do such trip. It sounds like a great bucket list

3. Jen says:

Amazing .. Breathtaking. Thank you for the beautiful videos. What a perfect portrait of our nations beauty and diversity.

4. Kristen says:

I won’t the route with the places Ana’s highlights

5. Tiffany says:

You totally missed Missouri and the other central states. There are lots of awesome things to see in Kansas/Missouri area. I may be partial since I grew up there, but it really is a gorgeous area!

6. Tammy B says:

Going from Portland to Mt Vernon WA..Suggestions for limited mileage??

7. Gale says:

I never say awesome, but, AWESOME! Being a Navy brat we travelled all over the US, it was nice to recognize so many sites. I want to do this.

8. Barbara says:

Would love to know the route he took on this!

9. Sarah says:

Wow, that was just amazing! Made me want to jump in a car and go

10. Elizabeth says:

After seeing this, I no longer have the desire to see the other states. Except for a few nice areas, everything was highways and cities. I think I will pass adding this trip to my bucket list.

• Lisa says:

Clearly if the pictures were taken as he was driving, most of it would be highways and cities. On a road trip that is mostly what you will see while driving, that’s why you have to get out of the car sometimes too. I wouldn’t cross this off your bucket list based on that reason.

11. Sadie says:

Well, the time lapse video certainly wasn’t taken from his car. The bit from Austin, TX is at the SRV statue and would not be where he parked his car…it is on a jogging path and really only accessible to park vehicles. It is a beautiful collection of time lapses, but highly doubt the story behind these videos.

12. Katrina says:

Wait, do I see a tornado at 4:23?

13. Jenna says:

I did a similar trip last year at 12k miles and 8 weeks. I fell in love with my country and savor every delicious memory.

14. erica says:

Would love a copy for the route, highways, etc. I would totally do that with my kids for the whole summer.

15. Mihaela Froehlich says:

We are doing a road trip this summer with our family from VA to WA. We will go to Kentucky to visit family, Saint Luis, Kansas City, Mont Rushmore, Yellowstone, North Idaho and finally WA. Anyone has any suggestions?

• C Tomlinson says:

Depending on your time frame and interests, we’ve traveled most of the US and can recommend some stops. Idaho has Craters of the Moon, Washington state has Spokane, with a Loeff Carousel, beautiful waterfalls, Minten Gardens and the cathedral on it’s edge that plays “Hello Dolly”. Coulee Dam is worth seeing in upper northeast Washington, Leavenworth’s Bavarian village is truly unique and of course there’s Seattle. In Oregon, see the actual Oregon Trail ruts at Baker City, Multnomah Falls just outside Portland, the city of Portland’s Pioneer Square and the ten blocks around it (Portland Library’s amazing fossil steps, Powell’s largest bookstore, the Pods on 10th that started the food cart craze, etc).

16. marcy says:

Can you please post the places you stopped/your route???? PLEASE?!?!

17. Ben Dover says:

from Salt Lake City, totally recognized SLC and Park City just over the mountains! So cool man which highways did you take for this? Would love to do this with the family sometime.

18. Tom Anderson says:

I have to say that’s one of the most boring videos I’ve ever seen. It’s almost all freeways and bridges, with very little to tell people where he is or what he sees. I stopped it less than a fourth of the way in, and can’t understand why people think it’s so great.

19. Anna says:

For those of you asking for more information look at his website:

20. Sandy says:

We took a trip like this 30 years ago. We traveled over 6 weeks from Michigan to Northern California, down to Southern California back thru the southern United states! Some of our highlights were Mount Rushmore, Pikes peak, Redwoods, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon & New Orleans! We had planned on going to Vegas, but chose to visit family in Santa Clara California instead. Good choice if ya ask me! We traveled in a pop up camper hitting many KIA well as other themed campgrounds! I would recommend this to anyone that can do it!! I would love to travel up the east coast the same way!!

21. Kate says:

I loved everything about this, thank you for this.

22. smcchef says:

We did a similar thing but in 2 different trips. Drove to Alaska pulling a camper then back down on the west coast side. Few years later drove from Memphis to Niagara Falls, then down the east coast side. Stationed with the military for 3 yrs in Hawaii. So now my kids have been to all 50 states except North Dakota. Daughter and I taking road trip there in a couple of weeks before she leaves for college. Her bucket list item will be checked off!
    Kid may not of admitted they liked it then but we talk about the trips all the time! Great family memories.

23. todd says:

What the heck is in the SW corner of ND?

24. Chris says:

Where, exactly did he start and what direction did he go? I assumed FL then LA …

25. Tommye says:

It would be really nice if it was slowed down, so you could enjoy it.

26. D says:

Funny question … how many times did you have to wash your windshield on this trip :)
    Great video!

27. Michelle says:

OMG! LOVED these! Thank you so much for sharing your creations. Absolutely amazing. If you slowed these down, or added to them to movie length I would pay big bucks to watch these in an IMAX theater!!

28. Margaret says:

Can I have the directions for this trip?

29. Carol says:

Would really love to get details about what the landmarks are that he visited…..nice map with the pins in them, but unfortunately it doesn’t tell us what towns and landmarks he visited. I’ve always wanted to spend a couple years just wandering the USA and this would be great information for that “someday”. Thanks.

30. Karen says:

That is pretty amazing! I have been on many of those roads myself. Longest trip is only 4,000 miles for me. Unfortunately you missed a whole bunch in WY and MT. So much there to see as well. Great video!

31. Heather says:

This was great. Being an Air Force Brat and Navy Wife, I’ve been to all but four states (lived in many of them). Have done three cross-country road trips and this summer we’ll take my husband’s daughters on a road trip up the CA coast, through southern Oregon then down the interior of CA. This will be helpful in the planning – thank you!